Tools can be a huge investment, and you’ll want to take every measure to ensure that they remain safe and undamaged. It’s crucial that you have a safe and convenient place to store your tools in, and a good mobile tool box let’s you carry your tools with you no matter where you’re working.
High-end mobile tool boxes will typically feature wheels that roll smoothly, a lightweight and modular design, and a sturdy casing that can take a beating. Bad mobile tool boxes are made of weak plastic, have janky wheels, and don’t have a proper locking mechanism. A complete waste of money.
To help keep your tools safes – we’ve reviewed the Top 10 Mobile Tool Boxes of 2019. From including DeWalt, Craftsman, to Milwaukee – we’ve reviewed them all.
Buy with the confidence that you’re not wasting your money on a lemon. Let’s jump straight into the reviews.
Best Mobile Tool Box
Craftsman Tool Box – Best Overall
- Craftsman 3-Drawer Metal Portable Chest Toolbox Red
This metal tool box from Craftsman combines a great price with excellent build quality, making it one of the most reliable options on the market. While this one may not have any fancy bells and whistles, we see that as a bit of an advantage, as that allowed Craftsman to focus their time and resources on build quality.
Our favorite thing about this tool box is that it’s solidly built, ensuring that it’s able to protect your tools from all kinds of impacts.
There are three drawers on this stainless steel tool box, and each of them can hold up to 25 pounds of tools. There is also plenty of storage space in this tool box thanks to its 20.5-inch width.
If you’re worried about how secure your tools will be, you can use a padlock with the locking hinges to prevent unauthorized access to them. The two latches on this tool box are also durable, and they move smoothly, making it a lot easier to open and close it quickly.
This tool box is even equipped with an ergonomic comfort grip handle that will prevent your hand from getting sore if you have to carry it a long distance. Finally, this product is even made in the USA, so you can rest assured that it’s manufactured with tight tolerances.Check Price
- Excellent build quality
- Strong lock
- Drawers can hold 25 pounds
- Under-lid storage
- Relatively few advanced features
Milwaukee Tool Box – Premium Choice
- Part of the PACKOUT modular storage system that includes: 48-22-8426, 48-22-8425, 48-22-8424
- Constructed with impact resistant polymers | 250 lbs. weight capacity
- Industrial grade extension handle | 9 in. all-terrain wheels | IP65 rated weather seal
For customers that are willing to pay extra for their tool box, this modular model from Milwaukee is one of the most impressive ones that we’ve seen. This big tool box features a three-piece design that allows you to bring only the tools that you need, eliminating extra bulk.
This tool box is made out of impact-resistant polymers, which are a lot lighter than the metals used in many other models. Since the polymer is more flexible than metal, it also offers a bit of extra protection against impacts, since the tool box will absorb more of the energy, preventing it from being transferred to your tools.
Milwaukee has even made this tool box resistant to the weather, and it features IP65 rated waterproofing. With a max weight capacity of 250 pounds, this tool box on wheels can hold twice as many tools as some of its closest competitors, and it’s even compatible with Milwaukee’s other Packout products.
While the majority of this waterproof tool box is made of polymer for lighter weight, it features metal reinforcement in some key areas, including the corners and the locking point. The inclusion of all-terrain wheels means that you can bring this mobile toolbox to nearly any job site.Check Price
- Modular design
- Convenient wheeled design
- Huge weight capacity
- Pricey than other options
Husky Tool Box – Great Value
- Husky 16 in. Plastic Tool Box with Rugged Metal Latch (1.6 mm) and Ample Storage Capabilities in Black, Tool Box Organizer Heavy Duty, Durable Polypropylene, Easy to Grip,...
- CONSTRUCTION: Husky tool box is constructed of durable polypropylene and features a heavy-duty metal latch and a padlock eye for safe, secure tool storage. Add a pad lock for...
- DIMENSIONS: Tool box plastic has H 16 in. x W 9.4 in. x D 8.7 in.
If you’re looking for an affordable small tool box that still features excellent build quality, then you’ll love this one from Husky. The price point is this tool box’s biggest strength, costing about 30 times less than the previous model that we looked at from Milwaukee.
While this tool box is made out of plastic, it’s thicker and harder than on most other plastic models, ensuring that your tools are sufficiently protected from damage. There is even a removable tray on the interior of this tool box that makes it easier to organize your small tools.
Even though the majority of this tool box is made out of plastic, it still features a metal latch which ensures that it remains securely closed. If you get more than one of these tool boxes, you’ll also benefit from the stackable design that makes them easier to store and transport together.
The inclusion of a handle also makes this tool box easier to carry around with one hand. For an affordable tool box, this model features a lot of internal space thanks to its 16-inch width and its 25-pound max capacity. The only major downside to this tool box is that it doesn’t feature a lockable latch, making it a lot less secure.Check Price
- Metal latch
- Carry handle
- No locking latch
Dewalt Tool Box
- Extra large volume for large tools storage
- Top organizer fixed dividers for organization of drills & bits
- Bi material handle on top of each unit for easy & comfortable lifting
This tool box is part of Dewalt’s TSTAK series, which consists of lightweight, stackable tool boxes. This particular model is the deep box variant with a long handle, giving you additional storage space and making it a lot more comfortable to carry around throughout a long work day.
While the majority of this product is made out of reinforced polymer, the latches are made out of metal to ensure that they provide the required security.
Thanks to the removable tray, it can either be optimized for carrying smaller tools, or you can take it out and use all of the storage space for larger items.
Other than stacking on top of each other, all of Dewalt’s TSTAK models can lock into each other with their side latches, ensuring that they remain secure. One of the only problems with this tool box is that it’s a little too bulky for the amount of internal volume it has since the plastic walls are thick.Check Price
- Removable tray
- Comfortable long handle
Stanley Tool Box
- The item is Stanley STST18613 3-in-1 Rolling WorkShop
- Metal front and side latches for heavy duty usage - side latches can be clicked shut with or without organizer
- Used for Power Tool Accessories, Misc. Power Tool Accessories; The product is manufactured in United States
If you want to get your hands on a modular tool box but you aren’t willing to pay a huge sum for the Milwaukee model that we previously looked at, this is your next best option. This Stanley tool box features three storage compartments, all of which can be used individually.
The first of these compartments is the tool box, which is mounted on top when they’re all together. The middle organizer makes it easier to keep track of smaller items.
Finally, the storage bin is mounted at the bottom, and it provides you with the space that you need to transport larger power tools.
There is even a telescoping handle on this rolling tool box, much like a piece of luggage. One of the only weak points in this tool box is the wheels, as they don’t feature an all-terrain design, so they can get bogged down on worksites that are covered in mud or dirt.Check Price
- Three compartments
- Great for both small and large tools
- Telescoping handle
- The wheels can’t handle tough terrain
- Weaker construction than the Milwaukee model
Homak Tool Box
- Painted steel body with plastic reinforcing corners, lift-out plastic tray included
- Molded plastic carry handle
- Two 5-inch x 2-inch rubberized wheels for on the go portable storage
The Homak tool box isn’t strictly a bad product, but the fact that you can find far superior models available for less than half of the price makes it seem like an overpriced rip-off. What makes it worse is that this model doesn’t have any advanced features that would make the price point worth it.
The wheels are so close to the body of the tool box that even a bit of dirt or debris can disrupt the smoothness of its roll. Another issue is that the latches are unreliable and they feel like they’re going to break off at any moment. We wouldn’t want to imagine how easy it would be for a thief to break into this tool box.
Thankfully, it’s not all bad, as this tool box has a few redeeming qualities, including its steel construction with shock-absorbing plastic bumpers along the edges. This tool box is also taller than it is wide, meaning that it will take up less space when you have it stored away.Check Price
- Tall and spacious
- Steel with plastic bumpers
- Poorly-made latches
- No bells and whistles to justify the cost
Waterloo Tool Box
- Designed, engineered and assembled in the USA
- Removable plastic tote tray to organize small parts and tools
- Comfort-grip handle to easily carry with one hand
If you need a compact, lightweight, and affordable tool box, this model from Waterloo is an attractive option. Despite being relatively small, this tool box is still 14 inches wide, meaning that you can fit plenty of tools inside of it. The plastic construction also makes this tool box more shock-absorbent.
Unlike many other affordable tool boxes, this one even comes equipped with an eye so that you can attach a padlock to it for added security.
We were also impressed by this product’s handle, as it features an ergonomic comfort grip design that will keep your hand from getting tired.
The flush top design of these tool boxes means that you can stack them up if you buy several.
There is even a little tray inside of the tool box so that you don’t lose track of your smaller tools. Unfortunately, this model is more expensive than the Husky tool box, but it doesn’t offer any significant advantages over it.Check Price
- Comfortable handle
- Spacious yet compact
- Tote tray
- No reason to purchase this instead of the Husky tool box
Keter Tool Box
- Dimensions: 18.99 L x 10.24 W x 9.84 H
- Rugged polypropylene resin construction
- Lid organizers on either side of the handle to hold small parts
The Keter tool box is an impressive mid-range model that comes with some unique features to set it apart from other products. For example, there are two organizers on the lid that allow you to hold smaller parts and access them without even having to open the body of the tool box.
There is also a removable utility tray on the interior of this tool box, allowing you to carry even more small tools while keeping them organized. The inclusion of a lid stopper means that you can prop this tool box open as you work, ensuring that you don’t have to keep opening and closing it.
Constructed of polypropylene resin, the tool box itself isn’t as durable as metal models, but it offers superior shock absorption.
The only thing that holds this product back from a higher rating is the inconsistent build quality, as some parts of it are made perfectly while others seem like they were assembled haphazardly.Check Price
- Lid organizers
- Lid stopper
- Shock-absorbent construction
- Inconsistent construction
- A little too pricey
Bostitch Tool Box
- Can be separated into 2 parts: Bottom bin with drawer with ball bearing slides, Tool Box with drawer with ball bearing slide
- 7-Inch Full Rubber Wheels
- Heavy duty ball bearing slides
Yet another modular tool box design, this model from Bostitch is a little simpler than the other two that we’ve looked at so far.
Instead of three separate compartments, this one only has two. The first of them is the bottom bin, which contains a drawer to carry all of your larger tools.
The upper part of this model consists of a more traditional tool box, and each of the pieces can be used independently, ensuring that you can bring only what you need. Each of the drawers on both the tool box and the bottom bin features ball bearing slides so that they roll out and in as smoothly as possible.
The seven-inch wheels on this tool box are fully made out of rubber, ensuring that they can deal with all sorts of terrain without a challenge.
Unfortunately, this product lacks the low price of the Stanley tool box and can’t match the Milwaukee modular model, so it finds itself in a bit of an awkward middle-ground.Check Price
- Ball bearing slides on drawers
- Fully rubber wheels
- Not as affordable as the Stanley tool box
- Fewer features than the Milwaukee tool box
Stalwart Tool Box
- Work on the go- this rigid pack out cart has two 4.2” nylon wheels and a fold-down handle with comfort grip, so you can take everything you need to off-site jobs
- Plenty of storage- 24 total small parts compartments, two removable tool trays and a deep bottom compartment ensure that you’ll have room for all your essential tools and...
- Rugged design- this storage Trolley is made of durable polypropylene and metal to keep your power and hand tools safe and secure during travel and moving around Rough...
The final model we’ll be covering is yet another modular tool box, and this one features a similar price point to the model from Stanley. This is one of the best tool boxes for users with a lot of small tools since it contains a total of 24 different compartments designed specifically for smaller items.
While most other tool boxes have a single tool tray, this one has two removable ones, and the bottom compartment is deep enough to hold plenty of larger tools. Versatility is the main advantage of this model, as you can specialize it to carry plenty of small things or a bunch of large tools.
There are even cable hooks integrated into this tool box with drawers, ensuring that your cords won’t get tangled up when they’re being transported. We were a little disappointed by the small size of the nylon wheels, as they make it a lot harder to move over uneven terrain, and they can easily get caught on obstructions.Check Price
- 24 small storage compartments
- Two removable tool trays
- The wheels are too small
- Poor build quality