There’s no point spending a bunch of money on a good multimeter and then connecting it to a dodgy set of test leads.
Poorly-made multimeter test leads can be anything from a waste of money to a downright safety hazard.
Conversely, the best multimeter test leads will be durable, well-insulated, and have more than enough length to get the job done.
To help you get the most out of your multimeter – we’ve reviewed the Top 8 Multimeter Test Leads of 2024. Let’s jump straight into the reviews.
- 56.5 inches long
- Patented TwistGuard extendable tip shroud
- WearGuard makes wear and tear visible
- Huge range of leads and alligator clips
- The leads are over 100 inches long
Best Multimeter Test Leads
Fluke Multimeter Test Leads – Best Overall
- Patented TwistGuard extendable tip shroud meets the highest electrical safety requirements to reduce tip exposure while providing the versatility needed for most measurements
- New WearGuard lead wire wear indication. Each test lead is covered by two layers of silicone insulation; inner contrasting color is exposed when the leads are nicked, scuffed,...
- Double insulated silicone leads; TL175 test leads withstand high temperatures and remain flexible in cold temperatures
Searching for top-notch fluke test leads? Fluke TL175 multimeter leads stand out as a prime choice, blending reliability, accuracy, and affordability. Their unique TwistGuard technology, enabling the extension or retraction of the tip shroud, adds unmatched versatility to your toolkit.
Since you can expose as much of the lead as you need while the rest of it remains shrouded, these leads are safer than competing options. To further enhance the safety of these leads, they’re equipped with the WearGuard wear indicator, which consists of two layers of insulation, the second of which is brightly colored as a warning.
The innovative WearGuard insulation signals when it’s time for a replacement through a simple visual check, enhancing your safety and efficiency. Rated for up to 1000 V at CAT III and 600 V at CAT IV, these leads guarantee performance in diverse environments, maintaining flexibility even in cold conditions.
The leads are 56.5 inches long, which should give you enough room to work comfortably. To ensure that the leads are as durable as possible, they have been tested to withstand 30 000 bends without failing. The input plugs on the test leads are designed to work with 4 mm banana plugs.
A one-year warranty against manufacturer defects underscores Fluke’s confidence in their product, offering peace of mind alongside unparalleled reliability. Standout in their class, these leads are not just the top Fluke choice but the best multimeter leads available. Invest with confidence in quality that meets your professional demands.
- 56.5 inches long
- TwistGuard shroud
- WearGuard makes wear and tear visible
- Double insulated silicone leads
- None (seriously, we couldn’t find anything wrong with them!)
Fluke Multimeter Test Leads Kit – Premium Choice
- 3 test leads (red, black, green) connected to low-leakage probes
- 3 alligator clips (red, black, green)
- 2.6m lead length
Fluke’s second set of leads is a little more expensive, but it also comes with a lot more accessories that can make the job easier. While the last product only came with two test leads, this set comes with three of them, color-coded in red, black, and green. There are also three alligator clips with the same color-code.
The leads are 102 inches long, which makes them almost exactly twice as long as the previous ones. If you need some additional space to work with them, then these leads can be used more comfortably. The jaw opening on the alligator clips extends to a maximum of 26 mm.
This kit even comes included with a set of replacement test leads for a Fluke Megaohmmeter. Each of the leads that comes with this kit is insulated in silicone, which protects them from physical damage but also stays flexible in the cold and resists damage from higher temperatures.
These extra long multimeter test leads also come included with a single insulated alligator clip that is rated up to 5 amps. Each of the tips on the probes has been sharpened so that it’s easier to make contact with test points. The accessories include micro-grabbers and smaller leads to make it easier to work with small-scale equipment.
All of this is packed into a nylon pouch which helps keep the gear from being damaged. The included alligator clips are also very sharp, so they easily stay in place. Of course, the main problem is that this kit is more expensive than a simple set of leads.Check Price
- Huge range of leads and alligator clips
- Includes micro equipment
- These extra long multimeter test leads are over 100 inches long
- Silicone-insulated leads have superior flexibility in cold temperatures and resistance to high temperatures
- Slightly more pricey option
Klein Tools Multimeter Test Leads – Great Value
- Standard banana-type inputs compatible with most multimeters and clamp meters
- Removable alligator clips attach to wires and other conductors
- Includes one pair of universal test leads and one set of alligator clips. Leads are 41-Inches (1,041 mm) long
Klein Tools’ multimeter test leads set, equipped with alligator clips, presents an unbeatable option for budget-conscious shoppers. It may have fewer accessories compared to its Fluke counterparts, but it doesn’t skimp on essentials or build quality, ensuring value and reliability.
While most budget test leads will fail on you within a few weeks or months of use, Klein Tools have put serious effort into making sure that these leads are reliable. These leads use standard banana inputs, and these test leads come equipped with removable alligator clips so that you can attach them.
As is hinted by the price, this is a relatively barebones kit, so don’t expect too many accessories. The leads themselves are 41 inches long, making them the shortest of the three we’ve seen so far, but this should still give you ample working space.
These leads are also meant to be as safe as possible, and they have been rated up to 1000 V at Cat III and 600 V at Cat IV. Compatibility with Klein products is another advantage to these leads, as they’re designed to fit in the lead storage compartments which are built into other Klein devices.
The alligator clips are easy to attach as they screw on using threads, and they hold on tightly to anything they’re attached to. The only issue with this set of leads is that you’ll need to have all of the other gear yourself, as it doesn’t come packed with any accessories beyond the alligator clips.
- Affordable price
- Thick, durable wire
- Compatible with other Klein gear
- Safety Rated to Category III 1000 V and Category IV 600 V
- No bells and whistles
Amprobe Extra Long Multimeter Test Leads
- Test lead set connects a compatible electrical test meter to a device for testing
- Set includes two lead wires, two threaded test probe tips, and two alligator clips
- 2.67" threaded alligator clips have 0.30" jaw opening and teeth that grip the conductor to provide a more secure, hands-free connection than probe tips
This next set of test leads is only slightly longer than the last at 48 inches, so they’re not quite as long as the name would have you believe, but they make up for it in quality. Though they’re slightly more pricey than the Klein leads, this product is still one of the most affordable on this list.
The set comes included with two lead wires, a pair of threaded probe tips, and two alligator clips. The alligator clips are 2.67 inches long, and they each feature a 7.6 mm jaw opening. Since this kit comes included with alligator clips, you can attach the probes to a test point instead of having to hold them yourself. These are a good set of test probes, and although not the best multimeter probes available, they’re still a great product for the price point.
These test leads have been certified at Cat III for up to 1000 V, and they meet IEC safety standard 61010. The insulation on these leads is made out of silicone, which ensures that they’ll resist changes in temperature. These leads are compatible with standard 4 mm banana clips.
While these leads are durable and reliable, they offer relatively few advantages over the model from Klein Tools. For a higher price, you would expect some sort of improvement. The price is the only reason why these test leads lost to the previous product.Check Price
- Cat III certified at 1000 V
- Silicone insulation
- Alligator clips included
- 2.67 inch extra long multimeter test leads
- More expensive than the Klein Tools leads for no improvement
Handskit Multimeter Test Leads and Accessories
- 【Even higher Copper Core requirements】Contains 42 pure copper-core wires;Easily dealing with currents of 10A and preventing leakage issues from occurring.The nylon wire...
- 【More secure and durable silicone string】Constructed with flexible PVC/PA material that is double-layered and -insulated.The silicone used is non-toxic,environment...
- 【Premium test tip and plug】Pure nickel plated copper test lead tips which does not easily break-off,has solid contact traits and speedy and stable measuring reaction...
Handskit steps up the game with their budget-friendly test leads, introducing unique features not found in the Klein Tools’ selection. Constructed from 42 copper-core wires, these leads are engineered to handle up to 10 amps, offering robust performance and leakage prevention.
Nylon insulation helps ensure that the wires can withstand bending forces without permanently deforming. After the nylon insulation, the external layer is made out of silicone, which is much more resistant to temperature shifts than PVC. It features a higher melting point and remains flexible when cold.
The silicone used in these leads has been tested to ensure that it’s non-toxic and that its production is eco-friendly. The test leads themselves have been certified for Cat II at 1000 V, so you can rest assured that they’re safe.
Unlike other budget kits, these come included with a variety of accessories that can help make your job easier. If you’re trying to take a reading in close confines, you’ll appreciate the inclusion of tweezer probes. Unfortunately, these leads aren’t as well-built as the ones from Klein Tools.
- Can handle up to 10 amps
- Poor build quality
- Stiff insulating covers
Proster Multimeter Test Leads with Alligator Clips
- 【BANANA PLUG TO ALLIGATOR CLIP】A Pair of Safety Right Angle Banana Plug to Alligator Clip Test Lead Which is 0.8Meters Long for Multimeter
- 【WIRE DIAMATER】3.5mm/0.14";Male Banana Plug Pin Dia: 4mm/0.16";Alligator Clip Open Width(Max.): 9mm/0.35"
- 【BANANA OUTER SIZE】5.1 x 1cm/2" x 0.4"(L*D);Alligator Clip Size: 5.1 x 2 x 0.8cm/2" x 0.8" x 0.31"(L*W*T); Total Length: 100cm /3.28ft
One of the most affordable products on our list is this set of test leads from Proster. If you’re looking for the cheapest set of leads that you can be sure will work, then this product from Proster is an excellent choice. These leads are 31 inches long, which is a bit on the short side, but it still gives you enough room to test comfortably
The alligator clips that come included with these test leads make them easier to keep in place without holding them yourself. The clips open up to a maximum width of 9 mm. These test leads are rated for a max current of 15 amps. Weighing only 75 grams, they’re also some of the lightest clips on this list.
One of the best things about this set of test leads is that they come with high-quality alligator clips that will hold securely to anything that you attach them to. Most of the competitors in the same price range come with alligator clips that have too small of a bite to be correctly connected.
However, a few things hold these clips back from being our top budget choice. The first thing that disappointed us was the insulation, as it’s made out of plastic, which gets stiff in the cold. The insulated covers for the alligator clips are also tricky to adjust.Check Price
- Very affordable
- Alligator clips open wide
- Huge 0.8m extra long multimeter leads
- Poorly-insulated alligator clips
- Plastic insulation
Micsoa Multimeter Test Leads and Accessories
- Safe and Accurate - Micsoa multimeter test lead kit can help provide safe and accurate test results on electrical power measurements. Rated CAT III 1000 V, 20 A
- Soft and Comfortable Hand Grips - Heat- and cold-resistant test probes are silicone insulated and provides comfort grip
- Compatible - Multimeter leads are designed for use with any multimeter, clamp meter or test instrument. Removable tips, banana plugs, alligator clips and spade terminal can...
Micsoa makes this next set of test leads, and it features a price point which rivals the cheapest ones on this list. These leads are designed to be as safe as possible, and they feature a Cat III certification at up to 1000 V and 20 amps.
The handgrips on these leads are designed to be soft and ergonomic to ensure that your hands don’t get tired after using them for an extended period. The silicone insulation on these leads helps ensure that they can resist temperature shifts without becoming too hard to use or ending up damaged.
This kit also comes included with eight replacement tips for the probes. Two of the tips are the standard variety, four of them are ultra-thin, while the final two of them are shrouded. Other accessories include a couple of banana plugs, two alligator clips, and a pair of spade lugs.
While the Micsoa test leads are affordable, there are a few issues that hold them back from being our best budget option. First of all, the leads and accessories don’t come included with a carrying case, which makes them easy to lose. The silicon insulation is also of lower quality than on some of the other budget leads.Check Price
- Ergonomic handgrips
- Worse insulation than competing products
- No carry case
Meterk Multimeter Test Leads and Accessories
No products found.
Our last set of digital multimeter test leads is from Meterk, and it’s a little more expensive because it comes included with a wide range of extras. This kit comes included with two pairs of test leads and 12 different probe tips, making this one of the most versatile sets available.
These test leads are Cat III rated at up to 1000 V and 32 amps, so safety won’t be an issue as long as they are used correctly. The extras include a tweezer probe that will make it easier for you to perform tests in tight spaces. Every wire in the kit features double-layered insulation for improved durability.
The removable sleeves on the test leads allow you to get as much contact area as you need while still ensuring that the tip remains sufficiently insulated. The included alligator clips are also fully insulated, and they’re much larger than the clips that come with some of the competition.
The main downside to this kit is that it comes with so many accessories that you may not use most of them. This means that the kit will typically provide less value for money for anyone who doesn’t need such a versatile set of test leads.Check Price
- Huge variety of accessories
- Two pairs of test leads
- Large alligator clips
- If you won’t use all of the accessories, it’s not worth it
- Relatively short 34-inch cable