Having a light timer is an easy way to save hundreds of dollars on your energy bill.
The best light switch timers include a programmable ON/OFF system, have manual and automatic control, and a slim fit design so that it doesn’t take up too much space in your home.
On the other hand, a slow or unresponsive timer can ruin your day. Defective batteries, limited programming options, and dim display screens are signs you need to watch out for.
To help you separate the good from the bad – we’ve reviewed the Top 5 Light Switch Timers of 2021.
Buy with the confidence that you’re buying one of the best light switch timers on the market. Let’s jump straight into the reviews.
- Top 5 Best Light Switch Timers
Top 5 Best Light Switch Timers
Intermatic Astronomic Digital Light Timer – Best Overall
- Controls LED and CFL lights
- 24-hour or 7-day digital timer with up to 20 ON/OFF events
- Astronomic feature, random feature, auto daylight saving time adjustment
The Intermatic Astronomic Digital Light Timer is the best light switch timer due to its 15 amp lighting control. This gives the timer the ability to be installed in commercial and residential areas.
Users can program 40 ON/OFF events to help improve the energy efficiency and automate routine lighting schedules. It simplifies everyday use by having an Astronomic feature, which allows users to set ON and OFF specific times during the year based on geographic dawn and dusk pattern. This gives you more control over the device annually.
The large LCD screen gives you a readout of load status, mode, and time of day. It has an easy installation process and reliable battery power. The battery doesn’t use house power to keep the programming in its memory.
Since there is no neutral wire connection, this timer features quick installation and retrofitting. Just link Intermatic’s outdoor light switch timer, it can control both LED and CFL lights.
It also features an automatic DST (Daylight Savings Time) feature, that keeps the schedule in sync throughout the season without needing additional maintenance. If you want a well-priced light switch timer with a range of helpful features, this is the light switch timer for you.Check Price
- 40 On/OFF events
- Control CFL and LED lights
- Non neutral wire
- For 3-way and single applications
- Large LCD Display
- Difficult manual instructions
- Defective Battery
- Weak build construction
Honeywell Programmable Light Switch Timer – Premium Choice
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR LIGHTS - Add convenience and customization to your home with the Honeywell Home ECONOSwitch 7-Day Solar Programmable Light Switch
- HELPS SAVE ON YOUR ENERGY BILL - Scheduled programming allows the Econoswitch to turn your home lights and motors on and off automatically, helping you save both time and...
- CONTROL MULTIPLE DEVICES - Schedule your motor-operated appliances such as ceiling fans, bathroom fans, pond pumps, and pool pumps in addition to all your home lighting (one...
The Honeywell Programmer Light Switch Timer is the best premium light switch timer due to its wide range of extras. It has scheduled programming which allows the device to turn lights on or off automatically, which helps you save money and energy.
Because of its Solar Time Table, users can save money on their energy bills with the press of a button.
This switch timer has 7 programs that can last for a week. A single program can last throughout the day or it can be repeated throughout the week. With its 3 button interface, the device is easy for beginners to program based on their personal preferences.
When a user enters their home’s longitude and latitude, the device’s Solar Time Table calculates the correct sunset and sunrise days throughout the year. This helps with providing light when it’s most convenient, which also helps save on energy bills. While it is a slightly pricier option, the Honeywell Programmable Light Switch Timer has enough features to keep your lighting system operating smoothly.Check Price
- 7 programmable ON/OFF Schedules
- 3 Button Interface
- ECONOSwitch works with programmed schedules
- Controls multiple devices
- Simple installation
- Doesn’t retain date/time during power outage
- Unable to track the sun
- Time zones don’t include certain cities
Leviton Programmable Light Timer with Astronomical Clock – Great Value
- CONVENIENT – Automate interior/exterior lights and more
- ENERGY SAVING – Reduce energy consumption and extend bulb life
- FLEXIBLE- Program up to 49 on/off event settings per day
The Leviton Programmable Light Timer with Astronomical Clock is a great value light timer switch due to its affordability and performance. Users can see the timer settings easily thanks to the large backlit display. This make it easier to keep track of the settings at a glance.
This light timer’s astronomical clock ensures that it requires a minimum of maintenance. It allows users to program the settings based on Daylight savings and the local sunup and sundown times.
Also, its built-in battery doesn’t need to be replaced. As a result, it keeps the programmed settings even if there is a power interruption. Users don’t have to worry about resetting their devices in the event an emergency surge occurs.
This product also comes with a professional mode that allows you to program 50 ON/OFF settings daily. Users are able to set the lighting based on the weekdays, weekends, all days, and a combination of days. So you’ll have enough customizable settings to ensure that you have the most efficient lighting possible. Get this light switch if you’re on a budget and need something that’s reliable at managing your home lighting system.Check Price
- Allows for 50 ON/OFF configurations
- Large backlit display
- Astronomical clock
- Automated control of pumps, fans, and lights
- Limited programming capability
- Limited backup battery
- Complex installation progress
Defiant 20-Amp In-Wall Digital Timer
- Programmable to the minute
- Single-pole or 3-way
- 125 Volt, 60Hz, 20 Amps resistive, 15 Amps tungsten, 16 Amps
The Defiant 20-Amp In-Wall Digital Timer is the best light timer switch for old wiring due to its relatively versatile design. It has a 125-volt protection, 15 amps tungsten, and 20 resistive amps.
Electrical knowledge is needed if you plan on taking the DIY route with the installation. If you’re trying to enable 3-way switching, you’ll have to install the alternate switch in one of the traveler’s circuits.
There are a few issues with this model’s display screen. The screen is dim and difficult to read without getting up close. You’ll want to keep this switch in a well-lit area to ensure that you can read it.
We believe the Defiant 20-Amp In-Wall Digital Timer is a great alternative timer if the previous 3 don’t tickle your fancy. While it has minor issues, it’s still one of the best timer light switches in its price range.Check Price
- Simple DIY Installation Process
- 20 Amps
- User programmable to the minute
- 125 Volt rating
- Provide sunrise and sunset times
- Dim display screen
- Difficulty getting the timer to work
- Door flaps easily break off
Enerlites Digital Programmable Timer Light Switch
- Programming Convenience: Set schedules to control your indoor and outdoor lights, fans, sprinklers, and motors to turn on and off automatically at the present time.
- 18 Timer Options - Create 18 different on/off timer settings and let HET01-C wall timer do the rest. Timer cover can be pressed to manually turn lights on and off.
- Backup Battery: In case of power outage, the built in Ni-MH battery secures preprogrammed timer settings. RCL feature can be used to recall your last setting.
The Enerlites Digital Programmable Timer Light Switch is the best buy light switch timer. It includes the ability to configure 18 ON/OFF timer settings, giving you more customization options with your home lighting.
It works by preset lighting based on use. This model’s performance isn’t as stellar as some of the other options, as it’s relatively lacking in extras and additional features.
It also features poor build quality. The door panel that provides access to the controls can often have trouble shutting completely.
This model may be relatively simple to install, but that’s not much of a redeeming feature when it functions so unimpressively.Check Price
- Programming Convenience
- Manual and Automatic Control
- Neutral Wire Needed
- Slim fit design
- 18 ON/OFF settings
- No diagrams or complete instructions
- Weak backup battery
- Difficult user manual